Ballenger Logo



Button Bkgn
 

Southern Hospitality at its finest...

The Historic Ballenger House, circa 1925, is a designated site on the South Carolina National Heritage Corridor located in historic downtown Seneca, South Carolina.

Ballenger House ExteriorThe house is a beautiful red brick, American foursquare-style residence built by Mr. And Mrs. Grady Woodfin Ballenger. Three members of the Ballenger family were devoted members of the Once-A-Week Club that is the mother of the South Carolina Federation of Women’s Clubs.

In their honor, the Ballengers donated the house and grounds in 1979 to the women of Seneca as a meeting place for local clubs and organizations. The Seneca Woman’s Club was formed in response to this donation and owns and operates the Historic Ballenger House as a 501(c)(3) non-profit.

Wedding on the Ballenger House groundsToday the House serves as an ideal venue for weddings, receptions, meetings, showers, parties and reunions as well as a meeting place for a variety of local clubs.

The Historic Ballenger House also hosts art exhibits, cultural and tourism events.

Fire Place Located within the Seneca Historic District, the Historic Ballenger House is close to fine dining, excellent shopping, art galleries and other historic attractions. The House lies within walking distance of 23 homes on the National Registry of Historic Places, some that have been converted into public buildings.

Several bed & breakfasts are in the area as well as numerous hotels to accommodate overnight guests.

 

.

 

Tours

The Historic Ballenger House is open for tours by appointment and admission is free. To arrange for a tour, please call Debbie at 864-324-8417

Come and experience the ambiance of the Historic Ballenger House where the art of living graciously is still remembered.

Upstate Heritage Quilt Trail

Quilt Panel on GarageThe Historic Ballenger House worked with the Upstate Heritage Quilt Trail to install a quilt panel on the carriage house in 2009. The quilt square is based on a quilt found at the Historic Ballenger House that had been made by Elizabeth Bynum Richardson (1847-1919). She was the mother of Mrs. Grady Woodfin Ballenger.

Quilt expert Laurel Horton estimates the quilt was made in the late 1880s or early 1890s. The T Block pattern is thought to have been associated with the temperance movement in the late 19th century. In some local temperance societies, total abstainers signed a pledge and placed a T by their names.